
Escape to Paradise: Eco Relais Hotel in the French Pyrenees!
Escape to Paradise: Eco Relais Hotel - My Brain Dump on a French Pyrenean Getaway (With All the Fluff & Frustration!)
Okay, alright, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from Escape to Paradise: Eco Relais Hotel in the French Pyrenees, and my brain is still kinda…wobbly. Trying to condense my experience into something coherent is proving harder than scaling a literal mountain with my luggage (which, by the way, nearly happened). But here goes, raw and unfiltered, with all the SEO keywords thrown in like confetti. (Hopefully, Google sees this and gives me a big ol’thumbs up.)
First Impressions: Accessibility, & The Elevator Saga (or Lack Thereof!)
So, "Escape to Paradise," huh? Well, first things first: if you're rolling in a wheelchair, let's just acknowledge that "escape" might involve a little more exertion. Accessibility is… a work in progress. They do have an elevator, which is a huge bonus compared to some ancient Pyrenean digs, but navigating the uneven paths and occasional steps to get to the elevator… well, let's just say it tested my lower back. They're definitely working on it, though, and the staff were super helpful, offering assistance at every turn.
One time, I was so exhausted from a hike that I asked for help, and they actually carried my bags up the stairs. I was mortified but deeply grateful. True story.
My Obsession: The Pool with a View (and a Near-Drowning Experience!)
Okay, the swimming pool [outdoor] at Escape to Paradise… chef’s kiss. Seriously. That view…it's the kind of view that makes you spontaneously weep with gratitude. Picture this: shimmering turquoise water, the jagged peaks of the Pyrenees rising majestically in the background, and…me, almost drowning because I was too busy gawking to realize how deep it was.
Okay, it wasn’t that dramatic. But I definitely overestimated my swimming abilities after a few glasses of rosé at the Poolside bar. I should have ordered the bottle of water instead. But the scenery was that distracting. The Pool with view is a major selling point. Consider yourself warned: pack your best (or most modest) swimwear and prepare to be utterly mesmerized. They also have a swimming pool, in case you're less into panoramic vistas and more into, you know, swimming safely.
Relaxation Central: Spa, Sauna, and the Quest for a Decent Body Scrub
Look, I'm not gonna lie. Part of my goal for this trip was maximum chill. Escape to Paradise delivers on the relaxation front. The Spa/sauna is a haven. They've got a Sauna, a Steamroom, and they offer all sorts of treatments. I splurged on a Body scrub. Now, I've had body scrubs before. Some good, some…questionable. This one? Let's just say the therapist knew what she was doing. My skin felt like a newborn baby's… for about an hour. Then I went hiking, naturally. Anyway, the Massage options looked tempting too. I considered a Body wrap, but decided I was already wrapped up in the sheer beauty of the place.
One small complaint: the dressing room was a little cramped. I'm just saying!
Food, Glorious Food (And Maybe a Few Food Delivery Dreams)
The food situation at Escape to Paradise is…complicated. The Restaurants offer a variety of options, including International cuisine in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, and even a Vegetarian restaurant. They also have a Buffet in restaurant for breakfast, which is the most chaotic experience but is a guaranteed way to get your fill. They also offer Alternative meal arrangement if you have dietary restrictions. The Breakfast [buffet] was alright - lots of options, but the coffee was a bit…meh. The Coffee shop was better, though, and the Coffee/tea in restaurant was fine.
The A la carte in restaurant options sounded delicious, but my stomach was a bit sensitive, so I played it safe. I really wanted to try the Desserts in restaurant, but just couldn't. The Salad in restaurant was pretty good though.
The Snack bar was perfect for grabbing a quick bite after a hike (needed!). And, a huge perk for lazy travelers like myself: Room service [24-hour]! Yes! Especially after I found out I could sneak up on the mountain and have a picnic with their Breakfast takeaway service.
I did feel like I was missing out on some culinary adventures. Next time, I'm going all in on the Asian breakfast. It's what I'm dreaming of.
The Perks: Cleanliness, Safety & the "Things to Do" List
Okay, let’s be real, the Cleanliness and safety were top-notch. This is a post-pandemic world, and Escape to Paradise took it seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products, Rooms sanitized between stays, Staff trained in safety protocol, Hand sanitizer everywhere – all the good stuff. They even had Individually-wrapped food options to make sensitive people like me feel safe. The Hot water linen and laundry washing was also pretty comforting. And, I loved that they have a Doctor/nurse on call, just in case.
Things to do? Oh, honey, where do I begin?! Hiking, biking, exploring charming villages, attempting to speak French…The hotel can help you arrange all sorts of activities. They also provide Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! although, fair warning that the signal in your room might be a little patchy (unless you're near the router, which I wasn't). I had to make use of the Wi-Fi in public areas a lot.
They also provide Internet access – LAN in case I need it; I didn't. They also included Internet access, which is all you need, and they provide Internet services.
The Room: Cozy, but Not Quite Perfect (Like Me!)
My room was… pleasant. I had Air conditioning, which was a lifesaver in the summer heat. There's Daily housekeeping and Daily disinfection in common areas to keep the place tidy. Complimentary tea always a nice touch. I had a Desk, and a Laptop workspace, which turned out to be more useful than I expected. The Bed was comfortable, and I loved the Blackout curtains for those precious extra hours of sleep. The Mirror was well-placed, but could have a brighter light. My room had an Additional toilet, so that was great. The Bathtub was a bonus and the Separate shower/bathtub was just what I needed. They offer Non-smoking rooms, which is a bonus. The Hair dryer was a nice touch. They also offer Slippers, which came in handy. They have a Mini bar to stock with all my goodies! The Refrigerator has a lot of space. And, the Window that opens was essential.
A Few Annoyances: The walls seemed pretty thin, and I could hear my neighbor's (unintentional) opera practice. And, maybe this is just me, but the provided Toiletries felt a bit…generic. It can be a nice place for a Couple's room or Non-smoking rooms.
On a more positive note, they have Alarm clock, Air conditioning, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Ironing facilities, Private bathroom, Reading light, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, and Wake-up service.
The Extras: Services, Conveniences, and the Business Center (Which I Did Not Use)
Escape to Paradise offers a ton of Services and conveniences. The Concierge was incredibly helpful, pointing me towards the best hiking trails. They offer Currency exchange, Cash withdrawal, Dry cleaning, and Laundry service. They have Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, and a Gift/souvenir shop. There’s even a Convenience store for those late-night snack cravings (I used it!). They also offer Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], and Car power charging station. They can even provide Facilities for disabled guests. They have a Doorman too.
I also saw a Shrine there but didn’t know how to use it.
There's a Business facilities – a Business center, with Xerox/fax in business center, and options for Meetings and Seminars. I, personally, was there for the opposite of business, but good to know!
For the Kids (and Big Kids Like Me!)
They’re Family/child friendly
Escape to Portavadie: Loch Fyne's Hidden Gem!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're not just planning a trip, we're living it. This Hotel Eco Relais in Pau Nord Lons, France? It's about to witness a glorious, messy, and utterly un-curated human experience. Here's the "plan"… and by "plan," I mean a suggestion:
Trip: Pau-tified Panic & Parisian Dreams (Mostly Pau, Though)
Hotel: Eco Relais – Pau Nord Lons, France (God, I hope the "eco" part extends to the Wi-Fi. I need my Instagram fix.)
Day 1: Arrival & Mild Existential Dread (Plus Bread, Obviously)
- 14:00 - 15:00: Arrive at the Eco Relais. Pray the GPS doesn't lead me to a field full of suspiciously friendly sheep. (I have a sheep phobia. Don't judge.) Unpack. Or, more accurately, attempt to unpack. I usually end up just shoving everything into a corner looking vaguely organized.
- 15:00 - 16:00: Reconnaissance mission. Explore the hotel. I'm talking a thorough investigation. Find the lobby, locate the ALL IMPORTANT elevator (stairs are the devil), sniff out the vending machine full of questionable snacks. First impressions are crucial. Will the bed be comfy? Will the shower have decent water pressure? These are life or death questions, people.
- 16:00 - 17:00: The most crucial activity of the trip. Bread acquisition. Find a local bakery. Beg, borrow, or (dare I say it) steal a baguette. (Just kidding! Mostly.) I am a carb fiend. This is non-negotiable. I’ll eat it with butter and a side of existential dread, which, let's be honest, is a constant companion.
- 17:00 - 18:00: Chill. Maybe read a book (probably abandoned within 10 minutes). Maybe stare out the window, contemplating the vastness of the universe and the meaninglessness of spreadsheets. Or, you know, scroll through social media, looking at happier people's vacations.
- 18:00 - 19:00: Dinner at the Hotel. Hopefully, it's not all rabbit food. I need something substantial after my baguette-based existentialism session. Pray for steak frites. Pray HARD.
- 19:00 - 22:00: Stumble back to the room. Assess the day's damage (probably minimal, unless the sheep found me). Attempt to plan tomorrow's adventures. Fail miserably due to overwhelming fatigue. Read a chapter or two of my book, before succumbing to sleep.
Day 2: Pau City Adventures & The Great Coffee Crisis
- 08:00: Wake up. Curse the world for existing. The first few minutes are always a battle.
- 08:30: Breakfast at the hotel. Pray for coffee. Pray HARDER than I did for steak frites. A good cup of coffee is the foundation of a good day.
- 09:30 - 12:00: Explore Pau! I've heard good things about the Château de Pau (supposedly it's got a cool Henry IV connection… whatever). I'll probably spend most of my time dodging groups of tourists. I will attempt to appreciate the local architecture. I reserve the right to be underwhelmed.
- 12:00 - 13:00: Lunch. Again, crucial. This time, I'm determined to find a little bistro. Hopefully, the food will be decent, but I am, above all else, on a quest for atmosphere. Give me checked tablecloths, grumpy waiters, and the faint sound of accordion music, and I'm a happy camper.
- 13:00 - 15:00: THE GREAT COFFEE CRISIS. I will need more coffee. Lots more coffee. I will search every café, every boulangerie, every gas station until I find a cup that satisfies my caffeine cravings. This could be the defining moment of the trip. This is a matter of personal dignity, and I will not let it be taken from me.
- 15:00 - 17:00: Back to the hotel. Maybe a nap. Maybe not. This depends on the caffeine levels and whether I've successfully found a decent coffee.
- 17:00 - 19:00: Free time. I'll probably watch some French TV. Or stare blankly at the wall. It's a toss-up, really.
- 19:00 - 22:00: Dinner. Rinse and repeat. The hotel, or perhaps a hidden gem. The search continues.
Day 3: The Pyrenees (and Possibly a Panic Attack)
- 08:00: Wake up. The world…still exists. Sigh.
- 08:30: Breakfast. (Coffee. Always coffee.)
- 09:30 - 16:00: Drive to the Pyrenees. The "plan" involves some hiking (or at least, a gentle stroll). I am not a hiker. (See: sheep phobia.) The mountain air is probably lovely, but don't expect anything strenuous. I need a nap after eating all that baguette the day before. I am going to attempt to appreciate the scenery, but I might mostly be focused on not falling off a cliff. This is going to be a test of my courage.
- 16:00 - 17:00: Recover from the Pyrenees. Maybe find a pastry shop. (See: carb fiend above.)
- 17:00 - 18:00: Reflect (or, more likely, whine) about the day's physical exertions.
- 19:00 - 22:00: Dinner. This time, I'm aiming for a restaurant with some actual character. I want the authentic French experience. The loud conversations, the questionable wine, the chance to butcher the language and make an absolute fool of myself.
- 22:00: Pack for departure. The end is near. I will lament the end of the trip.
Day 4: Departure (and a Renewed Appreciation for My Own Bed)
- 08:00: Breakfast. One last coffee, please.
- 09:00 - 10:00: Final check-out from the hotel.
- 11:00: Travel home.
- 12:00 - 14:00: Arrive home and unload.
- 15:00: Collapsed on my own bed.
- 16:00: Sleep
Quirks, Imperfections, and Utter Chaos:
- I will undoubtedly get lost at least once. Probably multiple times.
- My French will be terrible. Utterly, embarrassingly terrible.
- I'll spend an exorbitant amount of money on pointless souvenirs.
- I'll probably forget to take half the photos I intend to. The memory card will be full of random blurry shots of my feet.
- I might cry. I'm a sensitive soul. Over a baguette if necessary.
- I'll leave a trail of crumbs wherever I go. Sorry, hotel staff!
- The weather? Who knows? I'll probably complain about it, whatever it is.
This is not a trip for relaxation. This is a trip for living. For mistakes, for laughter, for bad coffee, and for the occasional moment of profound beauty. And that, my friends, is what makes it a journey.
Escape to Paradise: Palm Vista Homestay, Your Malvan Dream Getaway
Escape to Paradise: Eco Relais Hotel in French Pyrenees - FAQs (and a Few Rants!)
Okay, so... is "Escape to Paradise" actually paradise? Or just another Instagram trap?
Alright, here's the deal, buttercups. "Paradise?" Nah. But it's damn close, in a way that's real, not filtered. Look, I went, expecting the usual - perfectly staged breakfasts, smiling staff who secretly hate you, and views that look better on a screen. What I *got* was a bit more...human.
The views? Stunning. Truly. They're the kind that make you stop mid-sentence and just *inhale*. Then, after a week of breathing that mountain air, you can't even face your old city apartment again. Paradise-adjacent, at least.
But the staff... oh, the staff. They're not always smiling (you know, like *actual* humans!), but they're genuinely kind. One waitress forgot my coffee order three days in a row – I'm pretty sure she was new. The first time I was a bit miffed (hangry, more like), but then I realized: she *tried*. She was learning. And the coffee, when it finally arrived, was heavenly. Beats sterile perfection any day. Plus, I bet she'll be a pro soon, you know?
What's the deal with the "eco" part? Do they actually *care* about the planet, or is it just a trendy buzzword?
This is the big one, isn't it? Okay, so, I'm cynical. Naturally. I expected half-measures and greenwashing galore. But honestly? I was pleasantly surprised. They're not perfect, you know? No place is. But they walk the walk more than they talk the talk, which is what I appreciate.
For instance, the food! Chef's kiss. Locally sourced, seasonal, mostly vegetarian (and the meat they *do* serve is ethically raised). I’m no fan of rabbit, but honestly, the rabbit stew was the best I’ve ever tasted (don't tell my rabbit-loving friend I said that). They have composting bins, solar panels, and little signs urging you to conserve water. Honestly, it feels less like preaching and more like, "Hey, we're trying, wanna join us?" Which, admittedly, is a pretty seductive message.
And the compost? Oh, the compost. I almost signed up for a compost masterclass on a whim. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but I think I was drunk on the mountain air and the feeling of actually *doing* something positive. I didn’t; I’m not sure I have the patience. But it made me *feel* like I _could_. And that's a damn good feeling.
What are the rooms like? Are they all tiny eco-boxes?
Okay, so the rooms... this is where things get a bit... messy. They're not like those sleek, minimalist hotel rooms designed by robots. They're more... lived-in. In a good way! They feel comfortable, not clinical. Sure, they're not huge, but they're cozy. And you're not in your room all day, are you? Unless you *are*, in which case, you do you. I got a room with a balcony overlooking the mountains. Best decision ever. Could have easily sat there for DAYS.
One small gripe: My room smelled a bit "earthy" – like, you know, *earth*. Rustic. I’m not being funny. It was a bit much at first, but I got used to it and actually kind of liked it. It helped me feel like I was connected with the natural world. I felt like a goddamn Hobbit, in the best way possible.
Is the food amazing, or is it just… good-for-an-eco-hotel-food kind of good?
Okay, let's talk food. Because honestly, the food could make or break a trip for me. I'm a foodie, and I wasn't expecting much. Eco-hotels are often… well, let's just say I've had my share of bland lentil stews. But the Escape to Paradise? The food was *sensational*.
The chef is a wizard with vegetables. Seriously. I, a committed carnivore, found myself craving their beetroot and goat cheese salad. The bread was crusty and delicious, and the pastries... Oh, the pastries! Flaky croissants filled with local berries, and the local jams! Heavenly. Pure freaking heaven. My diet? Completely gone. Was I sorry? Absolutely not! I was there to embrace the earth and its delicious, delicious food. It's the kind of food that makes you close your eyes and moan a little with pleasure. (I may have done that.)
What's there to *do* there? Hiking? Boredom?
Hiking, yes. Hiking is abundant. Trails for all levels. I'm fairly active but still managed to find some breathless climbs. My legs hated me, but the views? Again, *incredible*. They offer guided hikes, which I chickened out of because I was too afraid of being the slowest person. (Turns out, I would have been fine.)
But there's also... well, *nothing*. Which, I'll admit, was a bit hard at first. My city brain was screaming for stimulation. But after a day or two, I actually started to *enjoy* the nothingness. Reading a book on the balcony, napping in a hammock, staring at the stars at night (they're spectacular!). I really enjoyed just *existing*. In a world that never seems to stop... the nothingness was perfect. The boredom was exactly what I needed. You can even take a yoga class or explore the local villages.. but do that after the nothingness period, promise me that!
Are there any downsides? Be honest!
Alright, here's the unvarnished truth. There are a few imperfections. The Wi-Fi wasn't always the strongest (but honestly, that's probably a good thing). And the drive up to the hotel is on some seriously winding mountain roads. I nearly threw up. Carsick. But they're not bad, just... well, be prepared. Plus, if you're the kind of person who needs constant action, this might not be the place for you. It's slow. Deliberately so. It takes a bit to get used to that rhythm.
Also… the lack of a decent coffee machine in the room (that’s my main gripe, you know? A proper espresso, not just the instant stuff). And, okay, the earthy smell in my room really did take some getting used to. And, well, I really, really, REALLY missed my dog. Okay, maybe more than a few.
Would you go back?
Without aHotel Explorers

